Now that you know my biggest annoyances, I thought it wise to share my biggest joys, since counting blessings always gets me farther than counting annoyances.
5. A good cup
One of my earliest memories is of drinking peppermint tea out of my special pink cup on a Friday night with my mom and dad. Nobody else was born yet, so I still got all the attention. Boy, did I love drinking tea like a grown-up! Of course, after tea, I'd cover Daddy's hair in my barrettes, because it made him pretty. But, hey, what do you expect from a two-year-old?
I still love tea. And now I do my own daughter's hair. But, really, any time is a good time for a cup o' tea. It's the perfect comfort food on a bad day. It's the perfect finishing touch to a beautiful day. Pretty much, it's perfect.
4. My kitties
Angelie came to me when I needed an angel. She showed up, half-dead, on my sister's doorstep, and after she put on some weight, my mom brought her to me. She's been my listening ear when all the rest of the world was sleeping peacefully. She's watched with her big yellow eyes as I've cried myself to sleep, and then curled up in my arms to keep me warm. She's tried to hide in my suitcases when I leave on trips, and she's kept my lap warm in the hours of study over the last three years. She may be scared of every other human being, but to me, she's an angel.
Melody is a tough little lover. She has endured the love of a 4-year-old, and still loves Mikayla, three years later. Her affection knows no bounds, and she will break down doors (literally, just ask Joey) to be in the same room as her humans. She reminds me daily what tenacity in love is all about.
3. Music
Sometimes people ask me why I have so many instruments in my house. If they only knew!
If I had one regret, it would be that I haven't let the musician in me develop more fully. I've always held back, just shy of excellence. I still play, sometimes. My guitar stays tuned, my flute polished, my piano covered with music. And maybe one day, when school is done, and I can breathe again, I'll let the musician out of her closet.
2. Kappa Alpha Theta
I read somewhere that, "from the outside looking in, you can never understand it; from the inside looking out, you can never explain it." And, while that may sound sentimental, it's actually true of my experience in Theta.
I came to Theta with so many hang-ups about university life, and about myself. My first night, I was so nervous, I forgot my own middle name, literally! But today, I can honestly say that I am a better student, and a better woman, thanks to the beautiful experience and sisterhood of Theta.
1. My family
I don't think anyone can know how deeply they love their children, until they're forced to live half the time without them. And anyone who tries to say I shouldn't complain, since I chose to leave her dad, can take a long walk off a short plank. Absolutely everything I do, every decision I make, is with Mikayla in mind, and I love being her mommy. Yes, being a single mom has been difficult. There is good reason why most single mothers live below the poverty line. But being her mommy has kept me striving to beat those odds, to be the best example, to provide only the best for her future, and to show her what it is to truly live freely.
I wouldn't have made it even this far without the love and support of all my family. Marcus, who came and lived with me for a few months, just to make sure I could handle being on my own, endured countless nights of my questioning the meaning of life. Mom and Dad, who still listen to me question the meaning of life over the phone. Monica, whose kids are the cutest, smartest munchkins to walk the face of the planet. Joey, my love, who is working with me now to build a new life. And his family, who have helped and supported us so many times on a daily basis.
Really, what would any of us be without family? Whether you love them or hate them, they had a part in making you who you are. And I'm very grateful for the family I have. "How good and pleasant for brethren to live in unity."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment